Daytime Sleepiness Treatment
Sleepiness during the daytime is a disease that occurs in many people due to various reasons and might take a serious turn if not diagnosed in proper time and in an effective way. Sleeping during the day is characterized by general lack of energy, Lethargy, weakness, persistent sleepiness. This may occur as a symptom in itself or as a result of many other underlying diseases like Sleep Apnea, circadian rhythm sleep disorders, narcolepsy, idiopathic hypersomnia etc.
People having the problem of sleepiness during the day or any of these above diseases have intense urged to sleep or take a nap even after having a satisfying sleep at night and also during their work schedule like while in a meeting or driving eyes, in inappropriate timings and the urge to sleep sometimes become so severe that it reduces their work efficiency by a huge extent.
Things that can cause sleepiness during daytime are
• Drug abuse is one of the major reasons,
• Genetic predisposition,
• Sometimes people do not get the right amount of sleep that is necessary. This may happen due for various reasons like night shifts at work or as an effect of various medicines. Sometimes jet lag can also be the reason of lack of sleep at night. This leads to sleepiness during the day and also disturbs the biological clock,
• Sleep disorders like narcolepsy, circadian rhythm sleep disorders, sleep apnea or idiopathic hypersomnia can also lead to sleepiness during the day,
• Improper alignment of body’s circadian atypical depression,
• Vitamin deficiency such a biotin deficiency also leads to a feeling of sleepiness during the day
It has to be taken notice of that with what intensity and with what frequency is the problem occurring as intensified regular sleepiness may lead to other chronic disorders which need to be immediately treated.
Treatments for daytime sleepiness
A number of treatment-related tools have come up for proper diagnosis of such problems like the Epworth sleepiness scale which accurately measures and grade results by which a patient is advised whether or not he or she should consult a specialist. Another tool is multiple sleep latency test which takes into consideration of the time and cause of sleepiness. And yet again another such tool is the maintenance of wakefulness test which is performed in a diagnostic centre.
Certain drugs are really helpful for these cases like modafinil, Xyrem, armodafinil, methylphenidate, oral solutions, dextroamphetamine, amphetamine, methamphetamine, etc. But all of this above medicine should be consumed according to doctors advice as if taken in more proportion, they cause adverse effects.
These problems of sleeping during the daytime may also be caused due diabetes, Parkinson’s disease or depression if it takes a chronic form. So proper and immediate treatment is essential.
At Crystal Dental Centre New Delhi, India you are provided with all the proper facilities to deal with these problems and cure them likewise. Don’t neglect the symptoms if you have them because sleep disorders can lead to other grave problems if they are not taken care of at the right time.
Authored by Dr. ABHIMANYU CHATURVEDI